VLS in the News
Week of March 7
March 15, 2011
- Adjunct Professor Peter Bradford talked to many news outlets March 12-13 about Japan's nuclear crisis, including the Associated Press, Agence France-Presse and Reuters, whose stories ran in NPR, ABC News (Australia), Yahoo! News, Nuclear Power Daily and elsewhere; Bloomberg News (twice); The Wall Street Journal (twice); Washington Post (multiple stories that ran in the Denver Post and elsewhere); PBS Newshour, Forbes, MSNBC, Financial Times, Barron's, St. Louis Beacon, The Nation, Texas Vox, NPR Charlotte, N.C., affiliate WFAE, National Journal and others. He also shared his perspective with the Energy Collective.
- Kevin Jones, VLS's smart grid project leader, wrote about wind energy development on Vermont's ridgetops in the Rutland Herald/Times Argus on March 13.
- Mark Cooper wrote an op-ed column in the Des Moines Register on March 12 about the high costs of new nuclear plants. Cooper is senior research fellow for economic analysis at the Institute for Energy and the Environment.
- Platts spoke with Professor Pat Parenteau about legal issues surrounding the relicensing of the Vermont Yankee nuclear power plant on March 11.
- WCAX spoke with Professor Cheryl Hanna on March 11 about whether the Vermont Yankee nuclear plant dispute may end up in court.
- In his Sports Illustrated column March 11, Professor Michael McCann laid out a legal road map for what may happen next in the NFL labor dispute. The column was cited by ESPN, Seattle News Tribune, FanNation and AM Law Daily. He also talked to ESPN Radio, Sirius Radio and WEEI Sports Radio Network.
- Foster's Daily Democrat (N.H.) credited Emilee Drobbin '08 for starting a Girls Scouts domestic violence prevention program that received a Newman's Own grant of $10,000. Drobbin started the program, "Stop! In the Name of Love," as her Schweitzer Fellowship project at VLS.
- The Boston Herald, Newsday, Nashua Telegraph (N.H.) and other media talked to Professor Michael McCann on March 11-12 about potential criminal charges against an NHL player who injured another player during a game.
- vtdigger.org profiled Patrick Berry, VLS's former director of Governmental Affairs and Environmental Advancement and now Vermont Fish and Wildlife commissioner, on March 11.
- Brian Jones '10 wrote an op-ed article March 10 in the Pensacola News Journal (Fla.) about a dispute over the K-9 police officer's uniform at Pensacola Gulf Coast Regional Airport.
- NBC Sports and The Pitch cited Professor Michael McCann's March 8 post to TortsProf Blog about a lawsuit filed against the Kansas City Royals by a spectator who was hit in the eye by a flying hotdog during a game.
- Derek Kline '11 spoke with the Laconia Daily Sun on March 9 and March 11 and the Meredith News about the lack of energy efficiency and renewable technologies in the design for the Center Harbor, N.H., police station proposal.
- Professor Cheryl Hanna discussed freedom of speech on WCAX's Above The Law on March 7.
- Professor Michael McCann talked to CBS Radio in Baltimore on March 7 about the NFL labor showdown.