JD, Harvard University, 1992;
BA, Kalamazoo College, 1988
Books and Chapters
- With Elizabeth M. Schneider, Judith G. Greenberg, and Clare Dalton, Domestic Violence and the Law: Theory and Practice, (Foundation Press 2008).
- "Black Ice and White Knights, A Matter of Time, and The Endangered Species Act Doesn't Matter," in Vermont Air: Commentaries From Vermont Public Radio (New England Press 2002).
- "Domestic Violence and the Criminal Law," in Encyclopedia of Crime and Justice (Revised ed., Joshua Dressler, ed., Macmillan Reference 2000).
- Doing Ourselves Justice: (Re) Committing to a Life of the Law, The Keynote Address to the Vermont Justice Association’s 2010 Annual Meeting, forthcoming, The Vermont Law Review, 201
- Health, Human Rights, and Violence Against Women and Girls: Broadly Defining Affirmative State Duties After Opuz v. Turkey (forthcoming, HASTINGS INTERNATIONAL AND COMPARATIVE LAW REVIEW, 2010)
- Rethinking Consent in a Big Love Way (forthcoming, MICHIGAN JOURNAL OF LAW AND GENDER, 2010)
- Domestic Violence and Supreme Court Advocacy: Lessons from Vermont v. Brillon and other Case Before the Court, 24 ST. JOHN’S JOURNAL OF LEGAL COMMENTARY 101 (2010).
- The Ruth Bader Ginsburg Lecture: Beyond the Castle Walls: Balancing Privacy and Security in Domestic Violence Cases 32 T. Jefferson L. Rev. 65 (2009).
- The Paradox of Progress: Translating Evan Stark’s Theory of Coercive Control into Legal Doctrines for Abused Women, 15 VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN 1458 (2009). This article was nominated as one of the best of the year by VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN.
- Preview of United States v. Stevens: Animal Law, Obscenity, and the Limits of Government Censorship, 4 CHARLESTON L. REV. 59 (2009) (with Pamela Vesilind)./li>
- There's Still Hope: Life After Giles v. California, 87 Texas L. Rev. See Also 79 (2009)http://www.texaslrev.com/seealso/volume-87/lininger/theres-still-hope-life-after-giles-v-california.html.
- Judge of Character, Seven Days – Vermont, June 3, 2009
- My Turn: Time to appoint a woman to the federal bench, Burlington Free Press – Vermont, May 31, 2009
- The Loving Lesson, Seven Days – Vermont, April 22, 2009.
- Connected to Laura and the World, Seven Days – Vermont, September 10, 2008.
- Acting in Leadership, Commentary, Vermont Public Radio, April 14, 2009.
- Vermont's Next Federal Judge, Commentary, Vermont Public Radio, February 5, 2009.
- Beecham v. Leahy and the Doctrine of Hypocrisy, 32 VERMONT LAW REVIEW 673 (2008).
- Getting Down to Earth, Seven Days – Vermont, April 16, 2008.
- Putting Freedom to the Test, Seven Days – Vermont, March 19, 2008.
- Invasion of the Privacy Snatchers, Seven Days guest columnist for "The Inside Track," September 26, 2007.
- Dissecting the Dissents and Outside Track on the Supreme Court, Seven Days guest columnist for "The Inside Track," January 31, 2007.
- Because Breaking Up Is Hard to Do, 116 Yale L.J. Pocket Part (2006).
- Sex Before Violence: Girls, Dating Violence, and (Perceived) Sexual Autonomy, 33 Fordham Urb. L. J. 437 (2006).
- Can the Law Regulate Reckless Sex? A Debate Between Katharine Baker and Cheryl Hanna, Legal Affairs Magazine Debate Club, February 14–18, 2005.
- The Right Choice? Roberts and the Supreme Court, Seven Days guest columnist for "The Inside Track," September 6, 2005.
- The Nuts and Bolts of Scholarship, or The "New" Rules for Legal Scholars, Association of American Law Schools, 2004.
- Everything Old is New Again: An Introduction to the Tenth Anniversary Edition of The Duke Journal of Gender, Law, and Policy, 10 Duke J. Gender, Pol'y & Law i 2 (2003).
- Somebody's Daughter: The Domestic Trafficking of Girls for the Commercial Sex Industry and the Power of Love, 9 Wm. & Mary J. Women & L. 1 (2002).
- Introduction to a Symposium on the Trafficking of Women and Girls in the Sex Slave Trade, 13 Hastings Women's L.J.1 (2002).
- Sex Is Not a Sport: Consent and Violence in Criminal Law, 42 B.C. L. Rev. 239 (2001).
- Book Review, Changing from Within, 12 Hastings Women's L.J. 273 (2001) (reviewing Peggy Orenstein, Flux: Women on Sex, Work, Love, and Life in a Half-Changed World (2001)).
- Bad Girls and Good Sports: Some Reflections on Violent Female Juvenile Delinquents, Title IX, and the Promise of Girl Power, 27 Hastings Const. L.Q. 667 (2000).
- Sometimes Sex Matters: Biology, Sexual Aggression, and Its Implications for the Law, 39 Jurimetrics J. 261 (1999).
- Ganging up on Girls: Young Women and Their Emerging Violence, 41 Ariz. L. Rev. 93 (1999).
- The Paradox of Hope: The Crime and Punishment of Domestic Violence, 39 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 1555 (1998), reprinted in Women and the Law Anthology (West Publications, 12th ed. 1998).
- Can a Biological Inquiry Help Reduce Male Violence Against Females, or What Is a Nice Gal Like Me Doing at a Conference Like This?, 22 Vt. L. Rev. 333 (1997).
- Forum: Privacy in the Community, Living with Risk: The American Experience With Sex Offender Legislation, 46 U. N.B. J. L. 316 (1997).
- No Right to Choose: Mandated Victim Participation in Domestic Violence Prosecutions, 109 Harv. L. Rev. 1849 (1996).
- Making the Hard Decisions After Receiving the Violence Against Women Act Grants, Vt. B.J., Dec. 1996, at 33.
- Book Review: Women Who Kill Men: California Courts, Gender, and the Press, by Gordon Morris Bakken & Brenda Farrington (forthcoming, American Journal of Legal History 2010)
- Book Review: Recent Scholarship on Male Violence Against Women, (forthcoming, Signs: The Journal of Women in Culture and Society, 2010).
- Amicus Curiae Brief, State of Vermont v. Michael Brillon, State of Vermont, Vermont Supreme Court, No. 08-88, (2008) on behalf of Vermont Network Against Domestic and Sexual Violence et. al. Download the full brief (.pdf).
- Amicus Curiae Brief in Ten Broeck, Dupont. v. Brooks, Commonwealth of Kentucky, Supreme Court of Kentucky, FILE NO. 2006-SC-000484-D, (2008) on behalf of seventeen organizations representing women and victims of sexual assault.
- Snowflake Bentley and the Unique Idea of Uniqueness, Great Thoughts: Commentaries on Ideas Vermonters Have Contributed to the World (CD released Feb. 2004).