Craig M. Pease
PhD, University of Chicago, 1985;
MS, University of California, Los Angeles, 1981;
BA, University of California, Los Angeles, 1977
Environmental Forum Science and the Law Column
The Environmental Forum is a publication of the Environmental Law Institute.
- Humans Are Plastic Fantastic Lovers (July-August 2014).
- Climate Sensitivity on the Increase (May-June 2014).
- Agriculture Doth Protest Too Much (March-April 2014).
- Typhoons, Heat Waves, Climate (January-February 2014).
- A Science and Policy Smog (November/December 2013).
- Carbon Capture Gambit Declined (September/October 2013).
- More Carbon, Less Science (July/August 2013).
- Chesapeake Bay, RIP—or TMDL? (May/June 2013).
- Enclosing the DNA Commons (March/April 2013).
- Aliens Live in Our Brains!!! (January/February 2013).
- Humanity's Beef With Bacteria (November/December 2012).
- The Weight of the Evidence (September/October 2012).
- Fish Story: A Tale of Toxicity (July/August 2012).
- The Keystone Pipeline EIS (May/June 2012).
- Fracking: Turning Money Into Data (March/April 2012).
- When Science Evaluates Judges (January/February 2012).
- TSCA: Economic Limits to Science (November/December 2011).
- A Conspiracy of Climate Science?(September/October 2011).
- Attorney/Expert Communications (July/August 2011).
- The New Scientific Integrity Guidelines (May/June 2011).
- A Tale of Pesticides Then and Now (March/April 2011).
- An International Perspective (January/February 2011).
- Climate Change Political Paralysis (November/December 2010).
- The Hazards on Your Dinner Plate (September/October 2010).
- Outsourcing Science and Engineering (July/August 2010).
- Mixing Smelt, Salmon, and People (May/June 2010).
- Habitat Loss and Bird Extinctions (March/April 2010).
- A Tale Of Two GM Organism Cases (January/February 2010).
- Costs, Benefits, Malthus's Mistake (November/December 2009).
- Toxicity: You Can't Dial C For Cancer (September/October 2009).
- Too Much Lobster (And Too Few Cod) (July/August 2009).
- It’s Owls All The Way Down (May/June 2009).
- How Might We Cool the Earth? (March/April 2009).
- Do Cell Phones Cause Cancer? (January/February 2009).
- Strong Evidence for a Small Harm (November/December 2008).
- Will "Peak Coal" Limit Warming? (September/October 2008).
- Land Use: You Can't Argue with the Data (July/August 2008).
- A Stone Wall or a Stonewall? (May/June 2008).
- A Climate of Uncertainty (March/April 2008).
- Absurdity of Individual Harm (January/February 2008).
Book and Chapters
With J. A. Grzybowski, "Comparing the Relative Effects of Nest Predation and Brood Parasitism on Seasonal Fecundity in Passerine Birds," Ecology and Management of Cowbirds and Their Hosts: Studies in the Conservation of North American Passerine Birds 145 J. N. Smith et al., eds. 2000).
"Comparing the Relative Effects of Nest Predation and Brood Parasitism on Seasonal Fecundity in Passerine Birds," Austin Cowbird Symposium (U. Texas Press 2000).
With D. J. Mattson et al., "Designing and managing protected areas for grizzly bears: How much is enough?," in National Parks and Protected Areas: Their Role in Environmental Protection 133 (R. G. Wright ed., Blackwell Science 1996).
- With N. L. Fowler, Temporal Variation in the Carrying Capacity of a Perennial Grass Population. 175 The American Naturalist 504-512 (2010).
- With N. L. Fowler and R. D. Overath, Detection of Density Dependence Requires Density Manipulations and Calculation of λ, 87 Ecology 655–664 (2006).
- With J. A. Grzybowski, Renesting determines seasonal fecundity in songbirds: What do we know? What should we assume?, 122 Auk 280-291 (2005).
- A pro-business bias in environmental law at Frontiers?, 3 Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 131-132 (2005).
- In defense of N > 1, 55 BioScience 100 (2005).
- With J. A. Grzybowski, A Model of the Dynamics of Cowbirds and their Host Communities, 116 Auk 209 (1999).
- With D. J. Mattson, Demography of the Yellowstone Grizzly Bears, 80 Ecology 957–975 (1999).
- With J. L. Larimer et al., Consistency of Interneuronal Group Formation in Response to Simulation of Identified Cells, 182 J. Comp. Physiology A: Neuroethology, Sensory, Neural, and Behavioral Physiology 509 (1998).
- With J. J. Bull, Biology for Business, Law and Liberal Arts (1998).
- With N. L. Fowler, A Systematic Approach to Some Aspects of Conservation Biology, 78 Ecology 1321–1329 (1997).
- With D. J. Mattson et al., Science and Management of Yellowstone Grizzly Bears, 10 Conservation Biology 1013 (1996).
- With J. J. Bull, Why Is the Polymerise Chain Reaction Resistant to In Vitro Evolution?, 41 J. Molecular Evolution 1160 (1995).
- Assessing the Consequences of Brood Parasitism and Nest Predation on Seasonal Fecundity in Passerine Birds, Auk 112/2:343-363 (1995).
- With R. Lande, "Population Viability Analysis," in The Encyclopedia of Environmental Biology 203 (Acad. Press 1995).
- With M. J. Ryan et al., A Genetic Polymorphism in the Swordtail Xiphophorus Nigrensis: Testing the Prediction of Equal Fitness, 139 Am. Naturalist 21 (1992).
- On the Declining Extinction and Origination Rates of Fossil Taxa, 18 Paleobiology 89 (1992).
- With J. J. Bull, Is Science Logical?, 42 BioScience 293 (1992).
- With J. L. Larimer, Unexpected Divergence among Identified Interneurons in Different Abdominal Segments of the Crayfish, Procambarus Clarkii, 25 J. Experimental Zoology 20 (1990).
- With S. W. Taber, Paramyxovuus Phylogeny: Tissue Tropism Evolves Slower than Host Specificity, 44 Evolution 435 (1990).
- With J. J. Bull, Combinatorics and Variety of Mating-Type Systems, 43 Evolution 667 (1989).
- With R. Lande et al., A Model of Population Growth, Dispersal and Evolution in a Changing Environment, 70 Ecology 1657 (1989).
- With J. J. Bull, Estimating Relative Parental Investment in Sons Versus Daughters, 1 J. Evolutionary Biology 305 (1988).
- With J. L. Larimer, A Quantitative Study of Command Elements for Abdominal Positioning Behavior in the Crayfish, Procambarus Clarkii, 247 J. Experimental Zoology 45 (1988).
- With J. J. Bull, A Critique of Methods for Measuring Life History Trade-Offs, 1 J. Evolutionary Biology 293 (1988).
- On Comparing the Geologic Durations of Easily Versus Poorly Fossilized Taxa, 133 J. Theoretical Biology 255 (1988).
- Biases in the Survivorship Curves of Fossil Taxa, 130 J. Theoretical Biology 31 (1988).
- Biases in the Per-taxon Origination and Extinction Rates of Fossil Taxa, 130 J. Theoretical Biology 9 (1988).
- Biases in the Total Extinction Rates of Fossil Taxa, 130 J. Theoretical Biology 1 (1988).
- Lyellian Curves and Mean Taxonomic Durations, 13 Paleobiology 484 (1987).
- An Evolutionary Epidemiological Mechanism, with Applications to Type A Influenza, 31 Theoretical Population Biology 422 (1987).
- Biases in the Durations and Diversities of Fossil Taxa, 11 Paleobiology 272 (1985).
- A Coevolutionary Isomorphism Applied to Laboratory Studies of Competition, 39 Evolution 444 (1985).
- On the Evolutionary Reversal of Competitive Dominance, 38 Evolution 1099 (1984).
Reports, Letters and Book Reviews
- With J. A. Grzybowski, Cowbirds: Villains or Scapegoats?, 31 Birding 448 (1999).
- With J. Grzybowski, Protecting Biodiversity in Texas, 5 Conservation Biology 7 (1991).
- The Habitat Requirements of the Black-Capped Vireo and Golden-Cheeked Warbler Populations Near Austin, Texas (City of Austin, Dep't. of Envtl. Protection 1990).
- Is Evolutionary Taxonomy Science?, 39 Systematic Zoology 301 (1990)
- Models of Evolution, 38 Bioscience 352 (1988).