JD, Notre Dame Law School, 1985;
AB, Cornell University, 1982
Awards and Affiliations
Teaching at VLS:Professor at Vermont Law School since 1997.
Leadership and Service:
Magistrate Pro Tempore, Alaska District Court, 1985–86.
Contributions to the Law:
- Created Palau's Supreme Court digest, summarizing the more than 350 cases since the establishment of the court in 1981.
- Drafted rules of appellate procedure and rules of admiralty for Republic of Palau; enacted 1995.
- Special Counsel to Chief Justice, Supreme Court of the Republic of Palau, since 1997.
- Associate, specializing in Native Alaskan law, Middleton and Timme, Anchorage, 1996–97.
- Law Clerk, Alaska Superior Court, 1985–86, and Alaska Supreme Court, 1992–93, and 1995–96.
- Senior Court Counsel, Supreme Court of the Republic of Palau, 1993–95; chief adviser to court system of newly independent country.
- Instructor, legal research and writing, Saint Louis University School of Law, 1987–88, and University of Oregon School of Law, 1988–92.
- Staff Attorney, US Department of Labor, New Orleans, 1986–87.
- Adjunct Professor, American College in London, 1983.