James Gustave Speth
JD, Yale Law School, 1969;
MLitt, Oxford University, 1966;
BA, Yale College, 1964
Awards and Affiliations
- Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC. 2008.
- Honorary Doctor of Science, Middlebury College, Middlebury, VT. 2007
- Honorary Doctor of Laws, Vermont Law School, South Royalton, VT. 2005
- Honorary Master of Philosophy. College of the Atlantic. Bar Harbor, ME. 2001.
- Honorary Doctor of Laws. Clark University. Worcester, MA. 1995.
- Resource Defense Award. National Wildlife Federation. 1975.
- Global 500 Honor Role. UN Environment Programme. 1988.
- National Leadership Award. Keystone Center. 1991.
- Barbara Swain Award. National Resources Council of America. 1992.
- Special Recognition Award. Society for International Development. 1997.
- Special Leadership Award. Alliance for United Nations Sustainable Development Programs. 1998.
- Ordre National du Lion of Senegal. 1998.
- Grand Cordon du Wissam Alaouite of Morocco. 1999.
- Lifetime Achievement Award. Environmental Law Institute. 1999.
- Blue Planet Prize, 2002.
- Global Environmental Award. International Association for Impact Assessment. 2005.
- Connecticut Book Award, Best Nonfiction Book, 2005 (for Red Sky at Morning).
- DeVane Lecturer, Yale University, 2007.
- Straus Innovator Award, 2008.
- Lifetime Achievement Award, League of Conservation Voters, 2008.
- A "Best Book" of the Year, Washington Post Book World, 2008 (for The Bridge at the Edge of the World).
- Trustee, Rockefeller Brothers Fund
- Trustee, Natural Resources Defense Council
- Director, World Resources Institute
- Director, Center for Sustainable Communities
- Director, National Senior Conservation Corps/Gray Is Green
- Director, 1Sky
- Director, New Economics Institute
- Member, India Council for Sustainable Development