Janet E. Milne
JD, Georgetown University, 1981;
BA, Williams College, 1973
- "Understanding Environmental Taxation: Conceptual Issues in a Global World", Keynote Speaker, Conference on State Aid, Taxation and Sustainable Growth: Beyond 2020, Aarhus, Denmark, Oct. 31, 2013.
- "Environmental Taxation: Wrestling with Theory", Keynote Speaker, 14th Global Conference on Environmental Taxation, Kyoto, Japan, Oct. 19, 2013.
- "Carbon Taxes: A Path Forward?", Dartmouth College lecture series, Leading Voices in Energy, Sustainability and Security, Hanover, NH, Aug. 1, 2013.
- "Taxation's Troubling Toxicity," Workshop on Indignation, Socio-economic Inequality and the Role of Law, International Institute for the Sociology of Law, Onãti, Spain, May 30, 2013 (organized by Jane Glenn, McGill University Faculty of Law).
- "Environmental Taxation: Exploring the Legal and Policy Niches," Duke Law School's Tax Policy Seminar, April 10, 2013.
- "Carbon Taxes: International Experiences," Way Forward Climate Change Solutions Conference, Union of Concerned Scientists, Concord, NH, Feb. 25, 2013.
- Panelist, "Energy Taxes in Fiscally Challenged Politics," 4th Annual Biophysical Economics Conference, University of Vermont Gund Institute for Ecological Economics, Burlington, Vermont, Oct. 26, 2012.
- "The Supreme Court Opens a New Door: Expanded Opportunities for Environmental Taxes," 13th Global Conference on Environmental Taxation, Vancouver, Canada, Sept. 21, 2012.
- Panel discussion, "The Road Less Traveled: Exploring Niche Tax Practices," Diversity Committee of the ABA Tax Section, Washington, D.C., May 11, 2012.
- Lecture, "The Treasures and Traps of the Law," Landscape Studies Program's Lecture Series, Smith College, Northampton, Massachusetts, April 2, 2012.
- "Electric Vehicles: Plugging into the Tax Code," 12th Global Conference on Environmental Taxation, Madrid, Spain, Oct. 20, 2011.
- Roundtable presentation, "Using Taxation to Promote Environmental Protection and Sustainability: A U.S. Perspective," at the Foundation for Research in Law and Business in Madrid, Spain, Oct. 19, 2011.
- "British Columbia's Carbon Tax," Pricing Carbon Conference, Wesleyan University, Nov. 20, 2010.
- "Environmental Taxation in the United States: Retrospective and Prospective"
Conference on Green Taxation in East Asia: Problems and Prospects, Hong Kong, Jan. 29, 2010.
- "A Dark Recession, Green Economy and Red Ink: Climate Change Tax Incentives in the US Stimulus Legislation"
Tenth Global Conference on Environmental Taxation, Lisbon, Portugal, Sept. 25, 2009.
- "Climate Change Tax Incentives in the U.S. Tax Code: A Tax Expenditure Microcosm with Environmental Dimensions"
Conference on Tax Expenditures and Public Policy in Comparative Perspective, Toronto, Canada, Sept. 12, 2009.
- Panelist, Briefing United States Senate Staff on Carbon Taxes, July 13, 2009.
- Janet E. Milne, Chair, Plenary Session III, Ninth Annual Global Conference on Environmental Taxation, Singapore, November 5, 2008
- Urban Emissions: The Burdens and Risks of Market-based Administration (Plenary Session I)
Ninth Annual Global Conference on Environmental Taxation
Singapore, November 4, 2008
- From Simple Theory to Complex Reality: Designing Tax Incentives to Reduce Household Use of Fossil Fuels
Eighth Annual Global Conference on Environmental Taxation
Munich, Germany, October 19, 2007
- The Particularities of Environmental Taxation in the United States
European Commission's Brussels Tax Forum
Brussels, Belgium, March 20, 2007
- New Instruments on Old Turf: The Institutional Challenges of Environmental Taxation
Seventh Annual Global Conference on Environmental Taxation
October 23, 2006
- Environmental Taxation
Environmental and Land Use Law Workshop, Georgetown University Law Center
Washington, D.C., October 16, 2006
- Tax Expenditures for New Forms of Energy: The Policy Challenges of Overlapping Regulatory and Tax Regimes
The James Hausman Tax Law and Policy Workshop Series, University of Toronto
Toronto, February 8, 2006
- Improving the Environment But Violating the Polluter-Pays Principle? Case Studies in American Tax Incentives
Sixth Annual Global Conference on Environmental Taxation
Leuven, Belgium, September 23, 2005
- Generating Power from Wind and Landfills: Case Studies in the Benefits and Barriers for Renewable Energy (co-moderator, panelist)
Joint Fall Meeting of the ABA's Section on Taxation and the Section of Real Property, Probate and Trust Law (RPPT)
October 1, 2004
The panel was presented at a joint session of the Energy and Environmental Taxes Committee of the Tax Section and the Environmental Committee of the RPPT Section.
- The American Love Affair with the Car: The Mixed Beats of Taxation's Background Music (keynote presentation)
Fifth Annual Global Conference on Environmental Taxation
Pavia, Italy, September 11, 2004
- Water and Taxation: Using Fiscal Instruments to Protect Drinking Water
Conference on Access to Water in the 21st Century
Mexico City, October 23, 2003
- Harnessing the Wind: The Role of Tax Incentives as a Strand in the Reins
Fourth Annual Global Conference on Environmental Taxation
Sydney, Australia, June 7, 2003
- Landscape and the Law: The Visible Effects of the Invisible Law
Smith College, September 29, 2003
- Tax Shifting: Making It Financially Attractive to Do the Right Thing
Annual Conference of the Northeast Sustainable Energy Association
Boston, Mass., March 14, 2003
- Ecological Tax Reform
University of Vermont, February 13, 2003
- Sponsoring host and moderator, Third Annual Global Conference on Environmental Taxation, Woodstock, Vermont, April 12-13, 2002.
- Setting the Scene
Conference on Mountain Resorts, Vermont Law School
November 6, 2001
- A Diagnosis of Federal Environmental Taxes: What Has the United State Done?
Second Global Conference on Environmental Taxation
Vancouver, April 2001
- Various Economic Theories of Environmental Taxation: Their Implications for Tax Design and Fiscal Politics
International Conference on Environmental Taxation Issues
Cleveland, Ohio, June 2000
- Roundtable on Environmental Income Tax Issues (moderator)
Environmental Taxation Committee of the American Bar Association's Section of Taxation meeting
Washington, D.C., May 1999
- Invited Witness, hearing on tax shifting held by the Ways and Means Committee of the Vermont House of Representatives
Montpelier, Vermont, April 1999
- The Prospects for Tax Shifting in the United States
Ecological Tax Reform in an International Perspective conference, sponsored by the German Association for Ecological Tax Reform
Hamburg, Germany, March 1999