Janet E. Milne
JD, Georgetown University, 1981;
BA, Williams College, 1973
Awards and Affiliations
Teaching at VLS:
Professor at Vermont Law School since 1995.
Leadership and Service:
- Director, Vermont Advisory Board, Conservation Law Foundation, 2003 to present.
- Trustee, Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests, Concord, NH, Chair of its Research Committee and Member of the Executive Committee, 2001-2007.
- Member, American Bar Association's Energy and Environmental Taxes Committee (previously the Environmental Taxes Committee), 1994 to present, and Vice Chair, Important Developments, 1997 to 2007.
- Director, Upper Valley Community Foundation, Hanover, NH, since 1998.
- Trustee, Montshire Museum of Science, Norwich, VT, since 1997.
- Member, environmental taxes committee, American Bar Association, since 1994.
- Vice President, board of trustees, Museum at Lower Shaker Village, Enfield, NH, 1994-98.
- Trustee, Connecticut River Watershed Council, 1994-96.
- Member, board of directors, Upper Valley Land Trust, Hanover, NH, 1996-99.
- Special Counsel, Dartmouth Medical School, on affiliations with health care institutions and other academic matters, 1994-99.
- Consultant, New Hampshire Charitable Foundation, 1995-2001; analyzing tax and other data to determine patterns of charitable giving in New Hampshire for Commission on Charitable Giving and Volunteering.
- Legislative Assistant to Senator Lloyd Bentsen, 1990-93; responsible for tax, international trade, and health care issues within the jurisdiction of the Senate Finance Committee.
- Practiced tax law, with special emphasis on tax problems, as attorney with Covington and Burling, Washington, D.C., 1984-90.
- Attorney, The Washington Post, 1982-84; represented the newspaper on the full range of news and business matters.
- Judicial Clerk, Hon. Frank M. Coffin, Chief Judge, United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, Portland, Maine, 1981-82.