JD, University of California, Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law, 1989;
BSN, Illinois Wesleyan University, 1979
Awards and Affiliations
- 2009-2010 Vermont Law School Student Bar Association Faculty Service Award
Teaching at VLSJoined the VLS faculty, August 2005.
Contributions to the Law
- Extensive experience representing corporate and municipal clients in a variety of environmental matters.
- Served as defense counsel in state and federal civil and administrative enforcement actions under the Clean Water Act, CERCLA, RCRA, and EPCRA.
- Regulatory compliance counseling under all major environmental statutes, particularly in the water, solid and hazardous waste and spill/release reporting areas.
- Provided advice in the cleanup of contaminated property under the Illinois Site Remediation Program and other similar state Brownfield programs.
- Trustee, Green Mountain College Board of Trustees (2009 to present; member Academic Affairs and Student Life Committee)
- Chair, Good Neighbor Health Clinic Board of Trustees (2009 to present; Vice-chair 2008 to 2009)
- Panel member, Windsor County Juvenile Restorative Justice Program (2008 to present)
- Trustee, Hubbard Brook Research Foundation (2007 to present)
- Lead counsel in People v. Thomas as the attorney for an indigent capital defendant in post-conviction proceedings. Briefed and argued the case before the Illinois Supreme Court, federal district court, and before the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Member, Board of Trustees of the Vermont Institute of Natural Science, 2006–present.
- Commissioner, Village of Mettawa (IL) Planning Commission, 1992-2005.
- Chair, David Adler Cultural Center Board of Directors, 1998-2000.
Partner, Environmental Law Group, Gardner Carton and Douglas LLP, Chicago, IL, 1998–2005; Associate, 1989–98.