Vermont Law Office Study Program, Vermont Board of Bar Examiners, 1984–87;
First-year legal studies, Vermont Law School, 1983–84;
MA, University of Northern Colorado, 1979;
BS, University of Connecticut, 1977
Awards and Affiliations
Teaching at VLS:
- Staff Attorney at South Royalton Legal Clinic and Professor at Vermont Law School since 1990.
- One of four experienced attorneys who supervise the South Royalton Legal Clinic's student clinicians.
Leadership and Service:
- Board member, Randolph (VT) Area Food Shelf, 2001–2005.
- Developed new initiative: Law and Social Work collaboration with University of Vermont, VLS, and Casey Family Services; member, Orange County Diversion Review Board, since 1995.
- Member, board of education, Randolph (V.T.) School District, 1996–98.
- Faculty advisor, VLS chapter of Habitat for Humanity, since 1995.
- Team reviewer of Pro Bono Representation Program of the U.S. Court of Veterans Appeals, Washington, D.C., 1995.
- Participant, “Mississippi Freedom Summer,” National Lawyers Guild project involving work with Mississippi attorneys on prisoners’ rights litigation, Jackson (M.S.), 1994.
- Helped institute monthly public information sessions in Windsor Family Court to assist individuals representing themselves in the family court system, 1994–present.
- Faculty advisor to VLS Schweitzer Fellows 2000-present.
- Project Director of the Family Law Outreach Project to incarcerated women at local correctional facility.
Contributions to the Law:
- Lead counsel in one of the Vermont Supreme Court's first cases to define "hostile environment" for the purposes of sexual harassment; in McGrath v. Vermont Department of Employment and Training, the Court reversed a department decision that the claimant had not been subjected to hostile environment sexual harassment and therefore did not have good cause to quit her job at a local foundry, 1993.
- Attorney, Office of the Defender General, Juvenile Division, Montpelier, VT, 1989–90.
- Attorney, Developmental Disabilities Law Project, Brandon Training School Office, Brandon, VT, 1990.
- Instructor, Woodbury College, Montpelier, three terms 1988–90; taught advocacy, and legal research and writing.
- Orange County Coordinator, Central Vermont Community Action Council, Chelsea, VT, 1988–89.
- Paralegal, Vermont Legal Aid, Rutland and Brandon offices, 1984–87.
- Learning Specialist, Bellows Falls Elementary School, Bellows Falls, VT, 1981–83.